Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Missus

The most important aspect when it comes to running is finding the right shoe for your feet. We have many types of shoe nowadays, that it is hard to know which one is the right one. It is no longer about the right size, its about the right type, pronation wise, support, cushioning etc. Or for none at all; you can get those minimalist shoe like Vibram Five Fingers, Merrel, or you can go barefoot completely.

I'm no expert, but when it comes to shoe, I dont have a specific type. What I do most of the time, is to wear it and run around in the store with the shoe. If it feels right, if its comfortable enough for me, then the shoe is the right one. I still hasnt found the one for me, but I have found a few that I really like and still use till now.

Nike Free (RM375)

I got this shoe few years back, merely as my jogging shoes/kasut jalan-jalan. Started running seriously in it in 2010. Really comfortable, light and flexible too. Its good for anything below 10km, anything above 10km my feet started to hurt. Back then, I was still a heel striker. Now this shoe is merely for jalan-jalan and no longer for running. Probably should send it over to the shop when they have the shoe recycling program. :)


 Nike Lunarglide+ (RM400)


Bought it in 2010, in time for the We Run KL 2010. A good shoe, plenty of cushioning, Ran a few 10k races, Penang Half Marathon (2010) and Penang Full Marathon (2011) Because of the cushioning, the shoe is a lil bit heavy. I was a heel striker at first and the shoe is perfect. Once i change to fore foot striker, started to feel that the cushioning at the heel is unnecessary and just an additional weight to the shoe.
 Adidas AdiZero Tempo (RM220)

Got it at a clearance sale. Didnt even try it on when buying. Bought it because of the weight and the colour :P Turned out to be a good shoe. Cushioning not too much, forefoot running with it. Ran the SCKLM Full Marathon with it, without any discomfort. Breathable upper mesh. Very light shoe. Not the lightest in the AdiZero range tho. The rubber last longer than my Nike. My fav shoe at the moment for long distance running. :) Will definitely buy it again.
Adidas AdiZero Adios (RM420)

Bought it because of the design honestly. Ran around in the shop. Love the cushioning at the front of the shoe. The lightest shoe in the AdiZero range. Use it for 10k runs mostly and it feels good. Now a mid-foot striker instead of forefoot. Havent gone more than 20k with this shoe. Very thin sole, so I'll have to try first whether my feet can take the bashing for 42km in this shoe. Sole doesnt last as long as my Tempo. Can see the wear and tear after 2 months using. 

So there you go, there are other brands that I should try, NB, Mizuno, Brooks, Asics, KSwiss etc. Maybe one day when I have extra cash lying around (I wish) then I'll buy shoes from other brands. But for now, I'm more than happy with my Tempo and Adios.

One thing that I keep telling myself when buying new shoes; "If it feels right, then it is the right shoe"

No comments:

Post a Comment